Although there is no specific location of an ATM, ATMs are usually placed near or inside banks, airports, metro stations, shopping centers or malls, grocery stores, restaurants, and other places. Some US Navy and cruise ships also have ATMs where sailors make transactions and withdraw cash amounts.
Recently, India and some African countries started solar-powered ATMs in village areas. In the Gulf countries, Canada and the US have ATMs with drive-thru lanes. Users can make transactions and withdraw their cash amounts by using an automobile. The highest ATM in the world is built at the Khunjerab Pass in Pakistan.
With the estimation of the ATM Industry Association, in the year 2015, there were more than 3.5 million ATMs located worldwide. ATMs are getting less attention as people started preferring cashless payments with new systems. However, ATMs are beneficial for people such as travelers.
Through ATMs, users can manage their bank deposits and credit accounts and do a wide range of transactions, such as balance checking, cash withdrawals, and transactions over mobiles. With ATMs, you can withdraw cash amounts even in foreign countries. The bank can transfer the money in your required currency if you find foreign currency at an ATM.
ATM Near Me
There are more than 3.5 million ATMs located all across the world. Finding an ATM service nearest to your location is very easy. You can use any bank’s Google search, Google Maps, and branch locator feature to find the closest ATM. You can then check all ATM-related information with the search results.
With Google search, you can type “ATM Machines near me,” and all the nearby ATMs will appear to you. When you click on each ATM location near you, all the details about that ATM’s distance, bank location, timings, and deposit limits will appear.
Finding an ATM near you is convenient if you are using Google Maps. You must type “ATMs Near Me” and turn on your location. Google Maps will show you all bank ATMs and their details. You can click on each ATM location and find out more about it.
All banks offer a branch locator feature on their website. With the branch locator, you can easily search for the ATMs of that bank. For example, if you find Chase Bank’s ATMs, you must visit their website. Locate the branch locator feature and type ATMs in the search bar.
All ATMs of Chase Bank will appear on the screen. You can get details about the ATMs’ timings, full service, drive-thru availability, deposit, and withdrawal limits. Although All ATMs provide 24/7 service, it’s good to get the details about the schedule before visiting an ATM location.
What Is an ATM?
ATM is the abbreviation for Automated Teller Machine that serves as a self-service and does not require humanitarian aid. It is a popular automated banking platform that offers withdrawals, money checks, balance checks, and fund transfers. Almost all banks have their ATM services worldwide at their branches or without a branch.
ATMs work without managers and representatives. The bank will offer you their ATM card when opening a bank account. If you agree to use the service, they will issue you an ATM card. You must bring your issued ATM card at every visit to the ATM location. You can withdraw your cash amount from the ATM with or without having a bank account.
ATM transactions are mostly free; however, some banks apply charges for exceeding the transaction limit. If you are an account holder of a bank, they will restrict you from making transactions with limits. The fee and charges of using an ATM depending on the bank with whom it is associated. Some banks charge high fees if you use the ATM service of other banks.
Features of an ATM
The automated Teller Machine has the following features:
- It transfers funds between two or more linked bank accounts.
- It receives an account balance.
- You can change your Pin.
- You can deposit your cash.
- It enables prepaid mobile recharge.
- You can make your bill payments.
- You can withdraw your cash amounts.
- You can print your recent transaction list.
- It performs a variety of features in a foreign language.
Advantages of ATMs
Automated teller machines have the following advantages:
- ATMs are easy to reach due to the many ATMs in different areas.
- You can easily withdraw your cash within a few minutes.
- All the banks provide ATM cards when opening a bank account, so you don’t need to provide any additional documents.
- ATMs provide transaction details to manage the remaining balance in the account.
- With an ATM card, you can pay your utility bills.
- ATMs provide full-time service 24/7.
- ATMs are secured because you can only use them when you know the password.
- Bank employees get less workload due to ATMs.
- ATMs work like a cashpoint so you can withdraw your money at any ATM.
- ATMs offer privacy for every account and non-account holder in banking communications.
- ATMs provide new currency notes.
- ATMs are the best choice for travelers to withdraw cash anytime and anywhere.
- The risk of getting errors in transactions is very low with ATMs.
Disadvantages of ATMs
Although Automated teller machines have many benefits, they also have some drawbacks. The disadvantages of an ATM are as follows:
- After free transactions, it charges some charge or fee.
- If your ATM card gets damaged, you can’t withdraw your cash.
- ATMs have a high risk of getting robbed.
- Hackers can easily crash ATM pins by operating an ATM.
- Getting out of an ATM is risky because anyone can follow you and steal the money.
Money Charges at Nearby ATM
ATMs are a reliable source of getting into touch with bank balances. People use ATMs frequently for multiple purposes, such as deposits, withdrawals, pin changes, mini statements, etc. ATM charges are different for bank account holders and non-account holders.
Account holders can’t withdraw unlimited transactions from ATMs. They can only make five transactions from their bank ATM and three times from ATMs outside their bank. ATMs not only provide withdrawals, but you can also change PINs, and numbers, make a mini statement, and balance inquiries.
ATMs charge fees for withdrawals only; other ATM features are free to use. When the limit of transactions exceeds, the ATMs charge a fee of some amount. Customers are not meant to pay the fee alone, and the charge amount will be deducted from their bank account.
The banking regulations for the US depend on the state you live. Likewise, ATM fees vary from state to state in the United States. The average ATM fee is about $2 to $3 for each transaction, but it can be high or low, according to your location. The ATM fees for local and foreign transactions are also different.
Types of ATMs
ATMs are built in two types, namely freestanding ATMs and built-in ATMs. The first type has limited features and only allows users to withdraw cash. Meanwhile, the built-in ATMs are secure and have complex features.
Freestanding ATMs are usually seen in business buildings, on the street, or in the drive-thru lanes. Stand-Alone ATMs are box-like machines standing on the ground without any connection. Freestanding ATMs are unattached to a wall or any other supportive things.
Businesses have immediate banking, finance, and accounting decisions, so they always need a stand-alone ATM. Employees and other business related-personalities used to transfer their cash amounts and withdraw money from ATMs located at business places. Also, business persons who don’t use credit or debit cards are more likely to use Stand Alone ATMs.
Freestanding ATMs are also located on streets for the convenience of the public. People can use the Stand-Alone ATMs anytime and anywhere if someone is far away from their bank location or branch. He can make transactions and withdraw his money from an ATM.
Drive-thru lanes are a modern way to provide ease to work. People can now transact and withdraw their amounts and payments through an ATM without getting out of their cars or other vehicles. They must use their ATM card and Pin to use the drive-thru ATM service.
Although Freestanding ATMs have many benefits, they also have some drawbacks. Firstly, these ATMs have a high risk of theft attacks. Criminals can immediately hack ATM pins by operating an ATM. Also, users have a high risk of getting robbed after withdrawing cash from Freestanding ATMs.
The second type of ATM is a built-in ATM located near or inside a bank. These ATMs have similar features to freestanding ATMs. But they are more secure than stand-Alone ATMs. Built-in ATMs offer more complex systems and additional features like changing the PIN, changing numbers, managing bank accounts, viewing transaction history on the mobile application, and keeping track of spending.
As banks have security systems to avoid theft or robbery, built-in ATMs are more likely to provide secure banking. You can make safe withdrawals and transactions; if any problem occurs, you can get help from the bank’s representatives. Also, the risk of getting robbed by thieves is less because you can go in and get out of the bank without showing anyone what you get.
How Does an ATM at the Bank Work?
ATMs are a reliable source of transactions and withdrawing cash amounts without human bank representatives. ATMs have different designs but are all made with some common features. The same parts of ATMs are:
- Card reader: All ATMs have a card reader that gets information from the chip and magnetic stripe. This chip links the ATM card to the right bank account.
- Keypad: Every ATM has a keyboard that allows users to enter their ATM PIN and choose the cash amount they want to withdraw.
- Cash Dispenser: Cash dispensers are slots in the ATM through which currency notes get out of the machine. The cash dispenser is connected to a safe present at the bottom of the ATM.
- Printer: Freestanding ATMs do not have printers as they don’t have complex features like advice slips and balance statements availability. Built-in ATMs have a printer that allows users to get advice slips and print their balance statements.
- Screen: Screen is one of the main parts of an Automated Teller Machine. The screen allows users to see the main interface on which they give commands to the ATM. Although the ATM screen uses a keypad, some ATMs also have touch screens.
Mostly, you can use an ATM by inserting an ATM card, credit card, or debit card into the card insert slot. The location of the ATM is not related to the machine’s performance. Rather, the ATM is electronically connected with the bank and provides multiple benefits and services.
You will see the “Enter PIN” request on the screen. You must provide the six-digit ATM Pin using the keypad or touch screen. ATM will ask you about your transaction type, and must choose an option. If you want to withdraw cash, enter the amount of cash you want to withdraw.
ATM will provide you with the required cash amount from the cash dispenser. Also, some ATMs have a printer that provides you with cash receipts. However, some ATMs offer cash receipts on the provided email address. Moreover, ATMs notify customers about their ATM cards during the process so that they don’t forget to get their cards before stepping out of an ATM location.
ATMs have made life easier and more convenient as it helps people to withdraw their cash amounts anytime and anywhere. People get money from an ATM location if they are in a hurry or an emergency. ATM service saves time, and you can withdraw your cash, check your account, check your bank balance, change your PIN, and do other useful things with an ATM.
ATMs are very beneficial for travelers as they can use ATMs anywhere to get cash out and use them for their needs. ATM is a useful machine that helps you when banks are closed, or your bank branch is at a distance. ATMs provide 24/7 service so that you can withdraw cash on holidays or outside the bank’s operational times.